Pages

Monday, June 27, 2011

What is your greatest fear?

As summer 2011 begins my brother and I seem to find ourselves located in the normal position. We talk about many great exciting things that would be both fun and good for our body, mind, and soul. Yet, we still find ourselves comfortably sitting in the living room each morning wondering what to do that day.

Well today the conclusion was to put on a movie, so I grabbed a choice we both agreed upon and slipped in Coach Carter. A fantastic film if you asked me. Every time I watch it I get all emotion and feel the overwhelming feeling that has lead me to studying to become a teacher.
No, I'm not referring to the feeling that I want to do something so out there that I get my own movie, however, I do want to change lives as Coach Carter has.

One thing that continues to stand out from this film is the scene where Mr. Cruz recites a passage from Marianne Williamson's book A Return to Love: Reflections on the Principles of A Course in Miracles.

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”

This passage always gets to me. Enjoy it. Coach Carter is a great film and if you haven't seen it yet I strongly suggest seeing it. I hope you all enjoy your summer! Keep an eye out for my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment