Pages

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

MLB Trade Deadline

Okay so how many of you get confused when you hear news of the "trade deadline" in Major League Baseball and then days after the dealine hear of another trade? I myself use to always get tripped up by this silly situation. Even now that I fully understand how MLB does things I still am at a lose for words in most cases.

First let me explain to those of you who don't already now. Unlike most of the other major sports in the United States Major League Baseball has elected to break their dealine up into two parts. First, the dealine that most people are aware of July 31st. The second, being August 31st. The way the MLB does it, is they have one date for waivers and one nonwaivers. The first date is for teams that wish to make a trade without placing players on waivers. The second dealine is for trades that require players to be placed on waivers.

As far as I'm concerned they need to make this one date. Why is baseball so special that it needs two trade deadlines? All the other major sports have one. It's plain and simple if a team wishes to make a deal with another team they must do it before the dealine. Otherwise the teams must deal with it. Honestly if you haven't decided that oyou don't want or need a player. Or your team is in need of a position by July 31st then you probably don't deserve to make a move.

I'm sure that many of you have heard the phrase "the early bird gets the worm". Well I think that is the golden rule here. Put up or shut up is my moto in this case. Although there are some pluses to adding players from waivers, I still don't think they should be given a later and comepletely inpendent dealine.

There is a point when the guy holding the card either calls or folds. So why woudl baseball make this extra date to allow owners to fold after the dealer has play the next hand? I for one don't think it should be allow and I wish that the MLB would join the rest of the sports in the country and make one cut and dry dealine. In the end though, it's really not up to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment